How To Fix The Water Dispenser On Your Refrigerator
Most side by side or French door refrigerators have built-in water dispensers. Many people take advantage of this refrigerator feature as it dispenses the need for a separate machine. It also optimizes the cooling features of the machine. You wouldn’t have to store pitchers of water inside.
But this extra feature of refrigerators can also become unreliable. You might have to deal with a broken water dispenser sooner or later. But don’t sweat it! You can easily fix this in no time using the following steps:
1. Test the dispenser first. Get an empty glass and insert it into the dispenser. Push the pump button or press the paddle. If you hear a gurgling noise inside, there could be something blocking the passage of water. If you can’t hear anything at all, the problem lies in the electrical and mechanical part of the machine.
2. You should check out if something is blocking the passage of water first. Try checking the water filter. If it hasn’t been changed for about 6 months or more, it might already be filled up with debris. Remove the water filter and replace it with a new one.
3. Unplug the fridge. You should do the pre-defrosting steps such as removing the contents of the refrigerator. Your goal is to defrost the area behind the water dispenser. If there is a sudden drop in temperature, water can drip in this area. When they solidify, they can block the passage of water. Try using a hair dryer to get rid of solidified water. Also direct the hair dryer to the frozen dispenser lines. Make sure you turn the temperature up to medium heat only. Also heat up the front of the dispenser where the water comes out.
4. If the previous steps did not work in unclogging your washer, try removing all contents of the fridge and have it stored by your next-door neighbour. You might need to defrost your fridge for a whole day to make sure that the frozen parts are thawed out.
5. If these methods did not work, it is time to call a handyman. The problem is most likely caused by internal wirings problems. Since most refrigerators have complicated wirings and mechanisms, a professional should fix it.
It is also important to take good care of your refrigerator to avoid problems. You need to keep it clean all the time. Also maintain the right temperature inside the fridge.